Gujarat is a well-known state of India. It is one of the most developed and prosperous states in the country. In the last couple of decades, the state has progressed a lot. It shares borders with Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Pakistan and a major part of the state touches the Arabian Sea. Known to be the first dry state of the country, it is a popular tourist destination but there are still some facts which are unknown to most of us. We have collected 15 unique facts out of 100s we came across and listed them below for you to learn about the vibrant state of Gujarat. So take a look at 15 Unique Facts about Gujarat you don’t know.
- First of all, most of the people do not know much about the name of the State. The state and the area around it were occupied by Gurjars even before the Mughal period. The name literally means “the land of Gurjars”.
- The history of the state has seen many civilizations come and go. It is known as one of the main centers of Indus Valley Civilization and has major well-known historic cities such as Dholavira, Lothal, and Gola Dhora. According to the historians, the first Indian port was established in the city of Lothal.
- There are more than 18000 villages in Gujarat and every single village has electricity connection.
- Gujarat is a well-known state for businesses and tourism. It has the highest number of airports in India to serve the need. There is a total of 17 airports out of which two are international airports and one more international airport is under construction.
- The people of Gujarat are mainly vegetarians. A large number of Jain also lives in the state that is known for their strict diet.
- Gujarat plays a big role in the global jewel industry. 80 percent of the diamonds sold anywhere in the world are polished in the diamond industry of Surat.
- Ahmedabad, Gujarat is the first place in the world where Subway, Pizza Hut and Domino’s opened all-vegetarian
- Before 1970, the capital of the state was Ahmedabad which was later moved to the current capital that is Gandhinagar. Most of the people still think that Ahmedabad is the capital of the state which is no longer true.
- Apart from Africa, Gujarat is the only state which is considered as the natural habitat for Lions.
- Ever after the 2002 Gujarat riots, the state is considered as the safest place to live in the country with a crime rate of only 8.2. Ahmedabad is the safest city among all Tier-I and Tier-II cities across the country.
- According to the government stats, Surat which is also known for diamonds and textile markets has the highest household income with an average of Rs.450,000/-.
- It is the only state in India which has a state-wide gas grid. The total length of the pipeline that covers the entire state is approximately 2200 KM.
- Amul, the largest diary of Asia, has its head office located in Gujarat.
- 98 percent of the total soda ash and 78 percent of the salt produced in India come from Gujarat.
- Every 5th Indian American is a Gujarati however in India every 20th citizen is a Gujarati.
The people of Gujarat are known for simple and colorful life. The aromatic food of Gujarat is not only popular in India but also in many parts of the world. The people from Gujarat have established their roots in developed countries like America and England and they often participate in India’s economic growth as well. From tourism to business point of view, the state of Gujarat has proved itself in every arena. Let us know how much you enjoyed 15 Unique Facts about Gujarat you don’t know.